Saturday, July 01, 2006

I Didn't Win The Contest

Goshdangit!

One of the guys in field service won.

I tied for second, which won me a $15 iTunes gift card. I've already downloaded "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," and am trying to figure out how to spend the other $14.01. I'm trying real hard to make my other 14 purchases fairly recent songs as I already have a good collection of 60s - 80s pop, and I've still got a case full of cassettes from about 1984 - 1990 to convert to mp3. Also, my nieces recently made it very clear to me that knowing who the White Stripes and Fall Out Boy are no longer qualifies me as hip, trendy, or "rad."

Current Contenders for My $14.01:

The B-Side Wins Again - DJ Spooky vs Dave Lombardo
Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado and some guy
Feel Good, Inc - The Gorillaz
16 Military Wives - The Decembrists
Gone Daddy Gone - Gnarls Barkley
Jesus Walks - Kanye West

Dang, I just spent a half-hour trolling iTunes for other songs. I previewed a whole bunch of bands I've heard mention of recently (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, The Walkmen, Death Cab for Cutie) and I don't know why, but they all just sound like Grateful Dead cover bands to me.

That's not a compliment.

No comments: